"To change our world we have to start by changing our mind, and this depends upon first
gaining a thorough understanding of how the mind works”
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
I am from Mexico City, where I grew up and became a Biologist because I wanted to learn more about nature, and how I could contribute to protect it from depletion and destruction. But soon I realized that it was more important to learn about how humans interact with the environment and make decisions regarding its use and transformation, so I gained qualifications in Environmental Management (political sciences, economy and law). Once immersed in the social sciences, Environmental Education and Education for Sustainable Development became the main fields of research and practice where I designed and implemented multiple projecs for several years.
During that time I was all about educating, training, communicating and creating awareness about the need to change individually and collectively towards a more sustainable existence. Despite of the big efforts, I observed that although we understand the need to change, such change is not happening; so this is when I decided to explore further on human behavior. Currently I am living in Sydney, Australia, where I completed a transdisciplinary PhD in Sustainable Futures, with a research project focused on what determines so strongly the way we behave regardless of our conscious intention to act differently. This website mainly shares my doctoral outcomes.
In my initial working years I helped some social organizations (or NGO's) by assisting projects related to the encouragement of environmental awareness. I also worked a few years for the Mexican Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, and briefly collaborated with United Nations as a sustainability consultant. Sometime after, I founded ECAmbiental SC (a training center and consultancy specialized on environmental education and sustainability). I also helped the foundation of the Unit for Communication and Education in Sustainability, at the University of Veracruz in Mexico. Among other achievement I also co-founded and worked as an active member five years at the Expert Network in Education for Sustainable Development: Germany, India, Mexico and South Africa. The fundamental activity in my fifteen years of practice has been to design and deliver dozens of educational projects and resources in Mexico and other countries too.
The strongest impulse shaping my personal and professional life has been to stop animal cruelty, and to contribute to the establishment of more sustainable ways of being, becoming and behaving.
- 2013 - 2017 PhD in Sustainable Futures, University of Technology Sydney (UTS). Australia. Research topic: “Exploring the hidden power of worldviews: A new learning framework to advance the transformative agenda of the Education for Sustainable Development”
- 2012 Diploma in Transdisciplinary Studies. University of Veracruz. Mexico.
- 2010 Diploma in Environmental Education, Autonomous University of Mexico City. Mexico.
- 2008 Diploma in Environmental Law and Management, Law and Environmental Studies Consulting. Mexico.
- 2004 MA in Environmental Planning and Management, ITESM Institute of Technology. Mexico.
- 2000 BS in Biology, National Autonomous University of Mexico. Mexico.
- 2019 - currently Trainer in Environmental Management and Sustainability at the Australian College of Business Intelligence
- 2018 - 2019 Senior Research Consultant at the Institute for Sustainable Futures (UTS), Australia.
- 2013 - 2017 Research Assistant at the Institute for Sustainable Futures (UTS), Australia.
- 2009 - 2014 Founder and Member of the International Experts Network on
Education for Sustainable Development: Mexico, India, Germany and South
- 2007 - 2014 and 2020- currently Founder and Director of Environmental Education and Training Consulting. Mexico.
- 2009 - 2013 Founder and Director of the Unit of Communication and Education for Sustainability, University of Veracruz. Mexico.
- 2010 External Consultant on Climate Change Adaptation. United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America. Mexico.
- 2004 - 2007 Lecturer of Environmental Policy, Law and Ethics. MA in Environmental Science. Simon Bolivar University. Mexico.
- 2005 - 2007 Director of the Environmental Training Department. Environmental and Judicial Studies Consulting. Mexico.
- 2001 - 2004 Head of the Specialized Technical Analysis Department. Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources. Mexico.
- 2000 - 2001 Project Manager on Ecological Restoration. International Audubon Society. Mexico.